I think we can too often overindulge our children by giving them or allowing them to do things that should be given or permitted when they are older. The result of that can lead to spoiled children who demand no less. Imagine a little girl all grown up and married and she has a husband who lost his job or she married the man God wanted her to, but he is not wealthy and can't give her the lifestyle her parents did. What then? Should we be setting our children up for that? Or should we teach them humility by making wise decisions as their parents to take the pro-active step in NOT over-indulging them??? True success isn't defined by our bank accounts and what we have anyway. I want my children to appreciate a dollar earned. I want my children to experience new things at the right ages. I don't want my children to have done everything by the time they are 7! I see so many 5 year olds getting limo rides for their birthdays!!!!! It meant the WORLD to me to be able to be in my first limo ride with my husband! It wouldn't have meant the same had I done it when i was FIVE! Plus, why does a 5 year old need to have a limo ride?!?! Good Grief!
I think it boils down to the fact that the parents think its fun and so they allow it. BUT, we have to be wise and hold off on things, on purpose, for the better good of our children. Yes, it would be FUN for us adults to go do that, but not wise to allow our 5 year olds to do things that should be preserved for later.
I worry that it teaches the never-ending cycle of immediate gratification or the never-ending cycle of working long hours to get more, more, more!
"But, store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven where moth and rust do not destroy and theives do not break in and steal. For where your heart is there your treasure is also."
What do you think?



15 comments:
Wow Greta! This is a amazing post almost ironic! It seems like my life to a "tee!" I am that girl who got a lot as a child and I have that husband who lost a job and married that guy GOD wanted me too! Defenitely gives me something to think about.
There is a very fine line of spoiling your children and making them appreciate the dollar. I want my daughter to have everything because she may be my only one but a limo ride at 5? Thats too much! Its a personal struggle of mine everyday that I say she can have alot but we have to live within our means and I want her to be in "reality" so she doesn't end up being..."that little girl."
Thank you!
Summer, I know exactly what you mean. I have to keep myself "in check" as well. LOL LOL
Seriously? Limo rides at 5? What the heck is that? We have a neighbor that is TOTALLY over indulgent with her kids. Its rough because Noah always wants to go over there and play with this kids toys all the time. It will probably get bad when he understands.
My kids are spoiled by others, we are working on it. Grandparents don't really like to listen!! :)
Kim
Oh, I forgot to tell you...
I rented a limo for Seth's birthday. Is that bad?
Loo- you are cracking me up! I miss you!!!!
Oh, I'm with you! We try to not overindulge the boys, I want them to be happy but we have found out that they really just want our time over toys. Our boys love when they get a card in mail. :) They carry them around for DAYS & we read them over & over. I love that! :) I want to scream when I see a parent overindulging their child, I've been around kids that have grown up that way & they often have "the world owes me" attitude. Heck no on a Limo ride for my 2. :) They are only getting 2 gifts & their meager stockings for Christmas. Whats funny is their fav. toy right now is a laundry basket. :)
Miss you, too, seastar.
I'll be home FRIDAY!
I agree. I want the same for my kids.My biggest prayer right now is that he will bless me with a child to raise in his name. I am a mother without a child right now. God is perfedt and so is his timing.
Anonymous: I will pray for you and your desire for a child. I don't know who you are, but know that you will be lifted up in prayer. :)
Great thoughts. I believe we live in a world that does over indulge. We don't say no to our kids and in fact, we are trying to hard to keep up with others. I think a limo ride at the age of 5 is over the top. What happened to cupcakes and pin the tail on the donkey?
And anon...my heart goes out for you. I have been there and struggled with the desire for kids and waited years for them. Praying God will bless you.
I completely agree with you Greta!! We've really been working on thankfulness to God for all that we have. I think Madam Blueberry from Veggie tales says it best, "a thankful heart is a happy heart." I've seen it play out over and over in my life, and my boys are getting old enough now to begin seeing it for themselves. Love you girl, and I'm still praying for you guys and Selah. ~Jenn
This is a great post, Greta. It challenges the heart indeed. Thank for sharing this so beautifully and honestly from your heart.
Beckie
you could not have said it better! That is me too! I see a lot of 5-year olds who are way too busy! I think if we teach our children to always be busy they will grow up and not appreciate time and feel like they always have to be entertained. I think we should teach them to be busy will God and things that are God honoring!
Heather
Greta,
I am getting caught up on blogs... and haven't been online in a couple of weeks, however, I had to comment... I SO agree!!!
It's such a shame!!!! My oldest had a little girl in her first grade class that had a limo pick her and 7 of her "coolest" friends up after school... it was a HUGE deal, and my Bailey wasn't not in the 7 "coolest." She was crushed!!!!! It was so sad, but we explained to her that even if she was invited, she would not have been able to go... hard lessons for a 6 year old... all cold have been avoided if that Mom would get a CLUE!!! A first graders birthday!!! Are you kidding me??? This is the first birthday we ventured out and expanded beyond just a "family" party.... so glad to hear your comments... it so echos Phil and I... the world is SO sad...
praying for you always...
Lanetta
just reread my comment... sorry about the typos... LOL.. I didn't proof it before sending... sorry..
Post a Comment