Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Frustration and Tragedy

Ok, so last night we couldn't sleep a wink.....I think it was because we knew we had to wake up at 4:40am for our ride to the airport. We get up, get our things together adn get our ride to the airport. After being dropped off by our translator and driver, we stand in line for 30 minutes to find out that our flight has been cancelled and there is NO flight they can put us on!- until tomorrow (Wednesday)!!!!! First of all, I cried because now I would be missing Seth's birthday and we are just so homesick from the boys....and second of all, we are on our own because our translator and driver have left! We have given them our cell phones, etc... The airline siad they would put us up in a hotel. SO we go to find a taxi and they proceed to try to charge us "an arm and a leg".... we were furious and done! Shane let them know we were NOT paying more than 2,000 tenge (which is already too much), but they were trying to charge us 4,000 tenge for 3 miles! We get to the hotel and it is a complete dump! We then get stuck in the elevator. Now, in the USA it is scary to get stuck in an eleveator, but in KAZ its REALLY scary because you would die in it before anyone here knew how to get you out! Thankfully, we got out on our own.

I think the worst part of the last few days and what has made us want to leave the most is that someone we know was brutally murdered here in Kaz this past Sunday night. Jackie and Clint are the Americans we have been hanging out with....well their housekeeper's name is Tuani. Tuani and her girls were spending the night at Jackie's house this past Sunday night for them to go away for their Anniv. We were going to do it for them, but Jackie felt like Tuani could use the extra money. Tuani and the girls went home on Monday morning to find their husband/Father had been brutally mudereded in their home over night. If Tuani and the girls would have been there, then you know what would have happened. Tuani is a stong Beleiver and is one of the most sweetest women I have met. She has a beautiful heart and this is such a nightmare for them. Tuani is also one of the most poorest people I have personally met. They live in literally a SHACK....one room, one lightbulb, they literally sleep in their clothes and use their coats as blankets....they have no pajamas- that is a luxury. Jackie and CLint have given them blankets and had just purchased a wood stove so that it could keep their shack warm. Now, Tuani has NOTHING- the only blankets she had are covered in her husband's blood. Thankfully, Clint's company is putting Tuani and her girls up in a temporary hotel until everyone can figure out where they are going. Personally, we feel a huge burden for this family. Please pray for this family- I don't know what to tell you to pray, just pray!!! Please! Thank you.

We will see you soon,
greta and shane

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is sad and I am sorry also that you have gotten stuck in KZ and are delayed coming home. I am praying for you as well as this woman and her daughters. Life throws so many wrenches our way. It can be hard sometimes.

Praying, Beckie

crispy said...

We will lift up this family and pray for safety for all involved. So sorry to hear about this awful situation. Still praying for you.
-cris

Thad and Ann said...

I'm so sorry for you guys! ughh, how frustrating to be stuck there. I will be praying for the lady & her family, how awful!

Kim said...

Oh Greta, I am sorry you are stuck there and will miss Seth's birthday. I will definitely continue to pray for you and this family. Look on the bright side (which I know is hard) at least you won't miss Christmas.

Gretchen said...

Oh that is horrible! I will thinking about your friend.
I too know what it is like to be stuck in Kaz. It's not a good feeling; Hang in there, you'll be home soon!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear you are not on your way home YET. I hope this last night is peaceful and that God gives you the strength to get trough it. I am praying for Tuani and her girls. May Gods peace also be with them. Miss you guys.

Unknown said...

We are filled with mixed emotions. Today (Wednesday) is the first that we figured out how to get in and read the Blog. We were so excited and filled with joy of your progress and experiences. We can't wait to see you all again. Then the tragic news of Tuani's husband caused us fall down on our knees and offer our prayers to God. We have been continually keeping you all in our prayers but now will step it up. We love you and pray everything will work out with God's special blessings.
Love you, Jim & Judy Liby

Greta's Mom (Darlene) said...

Oh my gosh!!!! What a horrible thing for that family. I will talk to you when you get back, about getting a major care package to the family. I pray God will intervene the safe delivery of any package to them, and safe delivery of you both HOME!!!! I love you and CALL ME when you get home! Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

What a difficult ending to your first trip. I trust that God will pull you through this, too. I know that you two have been such a blessing to the missionaries there as well as the woman who lost her husband. Although these are difficult times, I trust that God is using you for his glory.

I look forward to hearing/seeing more of Selah in the near future.

Lindsay